Types of consequences
- Marriage itself. It will be hard to say that fathers are essential when Justice Kennedy has redefined marriage to make fathers optional... [Same sex marriage] is both a symptom and a cause. Societies that have depreciated marriage tend to redefine marriage; which in turn accelerated the depreciation of marriage.
Same-sex marriage institutionalizes missing parents.
Children who were raised in a divorced family, divorced and remarried, adoptive families, single parent families. Those children were all allowed to say, "Hey I'm struggling because my dad's missing or my mom's missing". Same-sex marriage will make it so that children being raised by same-sex couples will be told, "The problem is not with objective reality. The problem's with you. You are interpreting your reality falsly."
- Unborn human life. Redefining marriage redefines parenthood. It redefines the obligations that adults have to children. It will also increase the use of assisted reproductive technologies. Which leave in their wake many frozen embryos and embryos that will never be implanted.
- Religious Liberty. We've seen the cases of the bakers, the florists, the photographers, adoption agencies, Christian schools and Universities, have all come under threat or even government fines and penalties because of their belief about marriage.
The free exercise of religion is not just the freedom of worship. So, there's a chapter in the book that talks about religious liberty as a natural human right. It's not what the Obama administration has been saying, "freedom inside your chapel to do what you want to do", it's freedom Monday through Saturday as well; to live out your faith in the public square.
Take heart from the pro-life movement. "My parent's generation did the hard work of bearing witness to the truth. And now, today, we get to reap those fruits. The same thing needs to take place in the marriage issue."
Three particular lessons from the pro-life movement:
- Rejected Roe v Wade: Roe v Wade is a wrong court ruling. It got the constitution wrong and it got unborn children wrong. It told a lie about the constitution. It told a lie about unborn children.
- Protected its freedom: It made sure that no pro-life American would ever have to pay for or perform an abortion.
Make sure that no pro-marriage American will ever be forced to violate their beliefs about marriage.
- Committed themselves to the long haul of bearing witness to the truth:
I am committed to the long haul for both life and marriage.
Wherefore, honest men and wise men should be sought for diligently, and good men and wise men ye should observe to uphold; (D&C 98:10)